Wednesday 4 June 2014

Dog-walking in Mthatha is not for sissies


The first time I walked our geriatric pooches, we got loudly barked at by large dogs, which appear to inhabit every property. Fortunately, the fences are high and strong. Or so I thought.

As I waited for Jasper to investigate a particularly interesting smell, I caught a movement to my right. I looked, and saw a massive boerbul heading towards us, very purposefully. This is one of two magnificent specimens guarding a building site, which seemed very secure behind a big wire fence. Not.

My dogs don't know that they are old and small, and wanted to go and say hello. I did the only thing I know how...I screamed like a girl. The dog stopped, bemused.

Fortunately a car drove past, the driver stopped to help, and got out the car. He shouted at the dog and made as if he were going to hit it. It worked!

I've since learned that this is the way to treat aggressive dogs here - pretend you're going to hit it or throw a stone, and they back off very quickly.

I've also learned that many fences have holes that the dogs can get through, but most of the time they prefer to stand behind the fence and bark at you - much more fun.

P.S. Bob and I have started a routine of walking the dogs when he gets home from work. Yesterday, a white bakkie (everyone drives a white bakkie) pulls up alongside us, and the driver (a friend) says, "Oh it is you. I saw you from up the road, and thought, it must be Bob and Wendy. You're the first white people I've seen walking dogs in Mthatha for 20 years."

P.P.S The pic is from my neighbour's gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment