Saturday 13 September 2014

Shopping and Signage in Mthatha

A chain store is a chain store is a chain store.  Or is it?

In Mthatha, the similarities to Cape Town stores are remarkable, except for some of the signage and niche-marketing of products. 

As usual, there are some signs which are quite puzzling:

I've heard of Briketts, but this is a new one.  This sign was mounted at the butchery counter, and I've yet to see the actual product.  Even Google can't tell me what this is.

Some products are unique to each location:

I had to smile at this one.  And of course I bought it.  It's jolly good!
I confess I didn't buy this one.  Nor did I buy any of the several other similar products in the same cabinet.
There are also products which you might not have spotted in chain stores in other towns:

Duct tape in Game. Camo duct tape!  Just imagine what fun could be had with cow-pattern duct tape!  Set-building could be raised to a whole new level...
There are very few food products and brands that I cannot find in Mthatha (chicken stuffing being one of them), and there are quite a few new products which I still need to try (madumbi being top of the list).

But there are some signs which I am pretty sure I will not see in Cape Town.  I was telling a friend about the Nando's sign which I saw.  Not to be outdone, she whipped out her phone and showed me these two signs she saw in the last week or so:

Ew.  I cannot un-see this sign.

This is my personal favourite:

3 comments:

  1. I want all of that duct tape. Lekker bling for fixing broken bicycle bits after an oops in the bush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed yes, Marg!

    Bob, if you use the camo tape, you might not find your bike in the garage after you've fixed it.

    ReplyDelete