Friday 13 June 2014

A Drinking Club with a Reading Problem

Yup, I went to Book Club!

No space on any tables, so the floor will have to do
I thought our Rondebosch Book Club (RBC) was old, having started in 1994.  My new book club (NBC) has been around since the '70s, and the book numbers have just topped 2000.

There are quite a few similarities - hosting is rotated and the hostess provides a yummy meal and copious amounts of wine.  No boys allowed.  But they are welcome to come along and braai/drink/talk sport/politics/rubbish in another part of the house.  Dogs (top left in pic) wanting to be patted seem to be common to all book clubs.  The recording system is much the same, but NBC has a small form stuck in front of each book, where readers are supposed to rate each book.  Hasn't really caught on.

This month, we met in Viedgesville, a small settlement about 25km outside Mthatha.  What a wonderful, varied, interesting group of women! 

In RBC, each person checks in their books, talks a bit about the books they've read (or not read - quite often), and takes a turn choosing the next books.  But at NBC, we checked our books in and took new books.  No discussion.  But, I was informed, each hostess gets to decide on the format of the evening.  Next month, we've been asked to bring a few magazines.  As to why . . . we have to wait and see.

It was comforting to see a lot of  familiar books, which means that there are some similar reading tastes.  It was also great to see a lot of new books, and some classics. Not a Jo Nesbo in sight, which is a pity.

"So," I hear you cry, "What books did you take, and why?"

1) Ants in the Big Onion - Annica Foxcroft : I enjoyed the first two books about a city girl settling in the gamadoelas. Thanks to Possum for leading me to the first book.

2) Me Before You - Jojo Moyes : Highly recommended by RBC.  I've been wanting to read it for quite a while now.

3) The Lacuna - Barbara Kingsolver : Also recommended by RBC.

4) The Last Rhinos - Lawrence Anthony : I've just read The Elephant Whisperer (Yeah, I know. I should have read it years ago).  I enjoyed Lawrence's writing style, and am looking forward to more of the same

5) The Black Box - Michael Connelly : Gotta have a thriller! And I can't believe I haven't read any Connelly before.

Guess what I'm doing this weekend!





3 comments:

  1. Am reading "Me Before You" which I am thoroughly enjoying. Am sure you will too! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whaaaaaaaat? You've never read Michael Connelly? Oh you lucky fish...you now have a treasure trove of reading ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Val, nice to have confirmation that I've made a good choice.

    Yay, Freeman! Love discovering a 'new' author who is prolific. Makes choosing books much easier.

    ReplyDelete