Monday 23 June 2014

Back to School

I've always believed I was allergic to children, but it appears I've grown out of it.

One of the gals at Book Club is a Grade 3 (Standard 1 for the oldies like me) teacher at the local primary school, and she mentioned that this is a crazy time of term with exams needing to be marked, marks needing to be submitted, and learners needing to be kept occupied at the same time. Would I, she asked, be interested in class-sitting for her at all?

Ooh, something new to do!  So I said yes, and went to meet the class of 9- and 10-year olds on Tuesday morning.  I greeted all 33 of them as I have been taught : "Molweni Bafundi".

"Ahem,"  said titshalakazi (Xhosa for a female teacher), "this is an English medium class."  Never mind, it worked!  A class of faces lit up and grinned.  We did a bit of reading, maths and Life Skills. At home time, titshalakazi asked if I would like to come in the next day and provide relief for another Grade 3 teacher.  I'd had such fun, I agreed.

Well.

On Wednesday, as I walked into the classroom, I was engulfed in a 20-strong hug sandwich.

"Yay, Aunty Wendy's back!"  What a heartwarming, special experience.  I just had to laugh out loud. I must have done something right! Each child wanted to say hello, and hug me individually.  How on earth can hugging a child be wrong?

And then I started getting letters:

 
Have I mentioned that children are observant  and intelligent?

On Wednesday, I was left alone in the classroom with a whole new set of young minds to warp.  Silly titshalakazi. They were fascinated with my attempts at Xhosa, and I rewarded each completed task with a phrase or two, which usually resulted in laughter and arguments correcting my pronunciation.

Most of my utterances that day were along the following lines:

Sit down / hlala phantsi (raucous laughter)
Yes you can go to the bathroom.
Sit down.
You don't have a pencil. Well, borrow a pencil.  Who can lend Ovayo a pencil? (Big mistake - any diversion is a welcome opportunity to avoid work)
Sit down.
No, you can go to the toilet when Kora gets back
Sit down.
I don't care who farted.
Sit down.
No!  Please don't use the Glade Strawberry for Sipho's farts. It makes my teeth curl.
Sit down.
No, you can't write the names of the people who are talking on the board.
Sit down.
That's beautiful!
Sit down.
Mpho, please give Onamusa's shoes back.
Sit down.
What are you doing under the desk?
Sit down.

That was the first ten minutes.  Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

It was exhausting, but we still got through a remarkable amount of work between 7:30 and 14:00.

I'm delighted that despite technology cursive is still being taught, and that the times-tables are being drilled into the kids. I couldn't fault them on their 6x table and they weren't too shabby up to the 8x table.  I was secretly thrilled to see a child sneaking her book out of her case to read, instead of doing a maths exercise.

I also invigilated a Grade 6 Afrikaans Begrip exam, and was heartbroken when a child asked what 'vakansie' meant when the question asked 'Vertel van jou beste vakansie'.  I couldn't tell him, as it was an exam.  It reminded me of one of my Afrikaans exams, when the question was something about 'iemand wat met worshonde teel'.  I had no idea what 'teel' was, the invigilator couldn't tell me, and I still remember the hour of terror and despair that followed.

Friday was amazing.

I spent it with Grade 7s who were preparing for Speech Night in August.  Just up my street! Each of the three classes (now between 20 and 25 learners per class) had to tell me what their topic was, and a little bit about what they were going to say.  If they didn't have a topic, we would use the time to help them choose. The range of topics blew my mind.  Inner Beauty versus Facial Beauty, Freedom of Religion, Racism, Therapy of Dogs, Rugby, Significance of Rap Lyrics, Bullying, Political Secrets and Corruption.... it made my heart sing.  At this age (12/13/14) all I was thinking about boys and discos.  These kids are so aware of society and what's happening around them, I have renewed hope for our country, our kids, our education system.

Please sir, can I have some more?






8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful experience, Wendy. I really enjoyed reading that post and I was there in the classroom with you. Those kids are really lucky to have met you, and better still they know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter who is a Grade 3 teacher could use your help right now! Will forward your experience. A lovely account by the way. Kids have a way of getting into one's heart. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful. You are quite a woman! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaah Wendy, that sounds amazing. I hope you get to do more of this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Methinks you have missed your calling!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool Wendy!!. A new career maybe? Children are food for the soul even with the farts!! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shucks, thanks for the kind words Ecoecho.
    Val, I hope your daughter survives!
    Gee, thanks Celia!
    Tamyn, I hope so too.
    nossie, I don't think I have the stamina to do it full-time. Those teachers are superheroes. I had to have a nap when I got home each day!
    Thanks André, it was!
    Aw Katie, kids are great. Looking forward to next term!

    ReplyDelete