Sunday 10 August 2014

Twitching

It would be an exaggeration to call myself a twitcher, but I do appreciate birds, and admit to getting overly excited when I spot a lifer.  I also enjoy attracting birds to my garden, but have been disappointed in Mthatha, as the golf course over the road provides ample food for the local birds.  As this is a summer rainfall region, I've discovered that the best way to attract birds is to make sure that the birdbath is full.

Here is a selection of birds I've seen in and around the garden in the last three months:

The hadeda is everywhere.  The noise as they head home at sunset can only be described as raucous.  Not a pretty sound.




The mousebird is one of my favourites, with its clumsy landings and 'Hey, what's going on?' approach to life - not first in the queue for common sense.
The mousebirds often visit in large groups.  When I mentioned my fondness for this Village Idiot of birds to a local, he told me that he shoots about ten a day, as they destroy many crops, including the green tops of carrot plants (I've seen what they can do to a fern).  The problem with shooting them, he says, is that the next day, fifty of them turn up for the funeral.

Leaving the door open can attract curious visitors
...and their partners.  Good thing the dogs are deaf, or there could have been carnage
This Collared Barbet was a lifer for me. 
And because he's so pretty, you get another pic of him
The trouble with Cattle Egrets is that they tend to attract cattle.  Which can be a problem when they settle down outside your driveway, and you're a city girl who's not used to this sort of thing yet.
These tick birds looked like something out of a Disney movie, about to launch into a dance routine
An egret contemplating a dip in the pool.  Yes, it's still green (to match the steps, of course)
I think this chap is another reason why I am experiencing an avian stayaway.  The Butcher Bird is really a feisty fellow, and when he's in the mood for a bath, no-one else comes near. Since I took this photo, this tree was severely damaged by the fire.  Let's hope it survives.
At last!  I lowered the feeders, and that seems to have worked.  I am now working on getting the local birds addicted to sugar water and peanut butter.  Bulbuls, barbets, and white eyes have sampled my fare.  I have seen robins, thrushes, weavers, tinker barbets, and the usual assortment of pigeons and doves in the garden.
I was so excited when I let the dogs out for their morning ablutions last week and saw this 'owl' sitting on the tree stumps over the road.  Only when I got the camera with its zoom lens did I realise that I seriously need to upgrade my specs.
Okay, this isn't strictly a bird.  But I really enjoyed this description on the menu of one of the better restaurants in Mthatha. If the chicken had been marinated in white wine instead of green Thai curry, 'legless' could have taken on a whole new meaning.




6 comments:

  1. I love the prehistoric sound of Hadedas at sunset. Thanks for the piccies and captions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous Wendy! Try the peanut butter/bread crumb feeder and the sugar water one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have close up pic of mousebird? It is hilarious story about more coming for the falling bird:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ecoecho, we reckon that the reason hadedas make so much noise when they fly is because they're afraid of heights.

    Marg, I'm trying both, but they're a bit suspicious still. The white eyes have sampled the nectar feeder, but the weaver is still a bit wary, as his weight makes the bottle wobble, so he flies off. The bulbul and the barbet are developing a taste for peanut butter.
    Lilia, here is a site with details about the mousebird: http://www.biodiversityexplorer.org/birds/coliidae/colius_striatus.htm The fiscal shrike is listed under predators - that is the proper name for the butcher bird that I talk about.

    Here is another site with more pics of the mousebird: http://www.northrup.org/photos/mousebird/ (The more pics I see of the mousebird, the more I enjoy the bird!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a child growing up in Kenya, my brother and I had a friend that regularly came to play, always bringing his own sandwiches. We where never allowed to share, as they we're is favourite - yup, Mouse Bird sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, Debbie! I don't know whether I'm curious, grossed out, or should just burst out laughing! Thank you for sharing that story.

    ReplyDelete