Monday 26 May 2014

All Mlungu look the same


Drove my car for the first time today, after arriving in Mthatha over a week ago.

I decided to practise my elementary Xhosa on the petrol jockey, and all was going swimmingly until he mentioned Hellen Zille. I asked him to repeat his question in English.

"Are you Helen Zille?"

He looked skeptical when I said no, because Helen had been in Mthatha just before the elections and she can speak a smattering of Xhosa.

My voice is quite croaky (like Helen's), my hair is the same length and colour (sort of) as hers, and we both wear specs. But I'm sure that is where the similarities end. Oh, and we both drive cars with a CA registration (very rare in Mthatha).

I think he still didn't believe me, because when I left, he asked again, "Are you sure you're not Helen?"

Just call me Ma'am.

No comments:

Post a Comment